Health Care Center “the 5th City Clinical Hospital” was established on September 10, 1958 on the basis of the 3rd Children's Hospital according to paragraph 1 of the decision of the Executive Committee of the Minsk city Council of deputies on 5 June 1958. No. 553. A Maternity Department was also established under the Hospital.
Nowadays, the 5th City Clinical Hospital is a health care complex with a developed infrastructure. However, the hospital consisted of a single health care building, opened in 1956, which is currently occupied by a Department of Nephrology at first.
A.J. Sidorkova was in charge of the Hospital at that time.
In 1958, a tuberculosis building was constructed and welcomed its first patients. It is currently occupied by the Department of Pulmonology.
In January 1959, the Hospital was renamed into the 5th United Clinical Hospital of Minsk City.
Rostislav Leonidovich Shimkevich, Chief Physician, was in charge of the Hospital from June 6, 1959 to September 18, 1989.
At that time a large-scale project on the construction of hospital buildings and facilities was commenced. In 1961, a maternity building was built under the project. In 1962, the main building was opened and in 1969 out-patient clinic #21 was established. Next (1970) year an administrative building, a subway and centre of hyperbaric oxygenation were opened. A Department of Neurology was established seven years later (1977), followed by the construction of a Nutrition Department in 1978. In the following years a balneary (1981), therapeutic pool (1982) and a radon laboratory (1982) were put into operation.
Moreover, the following departments and centers under the hospital were established:
- Department of Pregnancy Failure
- Department of Pneumotherapy
- Department of Resuscitation
- Department of Neurosurgery
- Department of Children’s Surgery
- Department of Premature Infants
- Department of Blood Transfusion
- Department of Rehabilitation
- Center of Radiation Sterilization
- Dictaphone Center
and a system of central oxygen supply to the hospital therapeutic departments was installed at that time.
In 1970, the 5th City Clinical Hospital was awarded with a diploma of the Council of Ministers of the USSR and the All-Union Central Council of Trade-Unions, confirming high-standards of health care and diagnostic services provided by the Hospital and the contribution it made by putting new health care techniques into practice. For his efficient work R.L. Shimkevich, Chief Physician, was granted a “Labour Red Flag” order (1971), a medal “For Efficient Work” confined to the 100th birthday of V.I. Lenin (1971) and an “Efficient Health Care Employee” order (1976).
In October 1960, the Health Care Unit under Minsk Automobile Plant and the 5th United Clinical Hospital of Minsk city amalgamated pursuant to Decision #514 of Minsk City Labour Council as of October 6, 1960 and Order #82 of Minsk City Board of Health as of October 10, 1960.
In December 1989, City Health Care Center #21 became a separate health care institution pursuant to Order #413 of the Department of Health under Minsk City Council of People’s Deputies as of December 25, 1989.
Georgy Andreevich Koleda, Chief Physician, was in charge of the Hospital from October 18, 1989 to June 30, 2002.
The Hospital acquired new equipment to satisfy the needs of the following departments: Department of Radiodiagnostics, Department of Physical Therapy, Department of Endoscopy, Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory, Department of Clinical and Functional Diagnostics, Department of Pheumotherapy, Nuclear Medicine Laboratory. New departments were established at that time: Department of Haemodialysis, Department of Endoscopy, Rooms of Laser Therapy, Rooms of Psychotherapy, Acupuncture Rooms, Rooms of Ultrasound Diagnostics.
The Hospital was equipped with a MRI scanner pursuant to the decision of the first President of the Republic of Belarus, Aleksandr Grigorievich Lukashenko. On January 10, 2000 the Room of Magnetic Resonance Imaging was established. In February 2000, A.G. Lukashenko visited the hospital and was introduced diagnostic capabilities and operating performance of the scanner.
A unique surgical microscope, used in brain and spinal cord microsurgeries, was purchased and installed in the surgery room of the Department of Neurosurgery.
These investments and innovations ensured the improvement of treatment and diagnostic procedures, development and introduction of new treatment and diagnostic methods.
A Regulation on the registry of the Health Care Center “the 5th city clinical hospital” in the Uniform State Register of Legal Entities and Natural Persons was registered under Registration number #100603397 by Decision #629 of Minsk City Executive Committee as of May 15, 2001. The hospital bylaws were developed pursuant to Order #162 of the Health Committee under Minsk City Executive Committee as of February 21, 2003.
Decision #151 of the Health Committee under Minsk City Executive Committee as of February 20, 2004 set forth the full name of the Hospital as follows: a health care center “the 5th City Clinical Hospital”.
On January 10, 2006 the health care center “the 5th City Clinical Hospital” was renamed into a health care institution “the 5th City Clinical Hospital” pursuant to Order #14 of the Health Committee as of January 10, 2006.
Nowadays, the health care center “the 5th City Clinical Hospital” is a multipurpose health care center, which promptly provides high-quality health care services to the citizens Minsk and the Republic of Belarus pursuant to the orders of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Belarus and the Health Committee under Minsk City Executive Committee.
The Hospital planned capacity amounted to 855 beds as of 2007.
Mikhail Fedorovich Nazarchuk, Physician, is in charge of the Hospital since September 24, 2002.
The Hospital is located in the central part of Zavodskoi District, occupying a 6.9 ha area, and surrounded by Filatov Street, Naprodnaya Street and Kuleshov Street. The Hospital includes 15 buildings of different number of storeys.
The Hospital focuses on:
- Providing high-quality health care and consulting services to citizens of Minsk and the Republic of Belarus within its field and pursuant to the special-purpose programs of the Health Committee under Minsk City Executive Committee.
- Carrying out a set of actions aimed at reducing the disease, disability and mortality rates among patients and the staff.
- Arranging and carrying out actions on health and hygienic education of in-patients and people who seek advisory assistance. Promotion of healthy lifestyle.
- Introducing new examination and treatment methods, acquiring new equipment, efficient usage of materials, equipment, drugs.
- Developing the skills of the physicians, paramedical staff and medical attendants.
- Providing every support to the arrangement of high-quality treatment, giving every encouragement to the hospital staff and researchers, involved into research activities, and to putting the developments of various research and development institutes and departments into practice.
The hospital structure was determined by the Health Committee under Minsk City Executive Committee considering the population needs in special health care and the applicable regulations. The following in-patient therapeutic departments were therefore established within the hospital:
1. Department of Obstetrics, including:
- Emergency and Examination Rooms;
- Room of Obstetrics and Physiology;
- Room of Obstetrics and Observation;
- Room of Pregnancy Failure;
- Room of Obstetrics;
- Room of Infants.
- Three Departments of Genecology including a surgery suit.
- Health Care Departments, including the Department of Cardiology and the Department of Pulmonology.
- Four Departments of Neurology for the patients, suffered from various neural disorders, and a Room of Traction Therapy , including:
- Department of Neurology #1, where the patients, suffered from the peripheral nervous system breakdowns, are treated;
- Department of Neurology #2. It is the department of health care and diagnostics under which a City Center of Myasthenia and Multiple Sclerosis opeartes;
- Department of Neurology #3, where the patients, suffered from the cerebrovascular accident, are treated;
- Department of Neurology # 4 (Contaminated Surgery), where the patients suffered from the spinal cord damage, accompanied by the limb paralyses and dysfunction of the pelvic organs, are treated and follow-up care of the neurosurgical patients is performed.
- Two Departments of Neurosurgery, including a surgery suite.
- Department of Surgery, including:
- Department of Surgery #1, including a surgery suite;
- Department of Contaminated Surgery (where the patients, suffered from surgical suppurative complications and diseases are treated), including a surgery suite. A City Center of Plastic Surgery of Neurotrophic and Post-traumatic Septic Wounds operates under the Department of Contaminated Surgery.
The following ancillary health care and diagnostic subdivisions were established within the Hospital:
1. Two Departments of Anesthesiology and Resuscitation
2. Emergency Department
3. Departments of Hyperbaric and Hypobaric Oxygenation, under which a Republican Center of Hyperbaric Oxygenation operates.
- Department of Clinical and Functional Diagnostics, including a Room of Ultrasound Diagnostics.
- Acupuncture Room.
- Room of Laser Therapy.
- Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory.
- Nuclear Medicine and Diagnostic Laboratory.
- Department of Blood Transfusion, including a clinical laboratory.
- Department of Radiodiagnostics and Radiotherapy, consisting of:
- X-ray Department;
- Department of Angiography.
- Department of X-ray Computed Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging, including:
- Room of Magnetic Resonance Imaging;
- Room of X-ray Computed Tomography.
- Department of Physical Therapy, including a radon laboratory.
- Room of Therapeutic Exercises and Rehabilitation.
- Department of Endoscopy.
- Department of Centralized Sterilization.
- Dental Office.
The Hospital also includes a number of other subdivisions and services ensuring its smooth operation.
All the hospital departments are equipped with the latest medical devices and this equipment is constantly upgraded, ensuring high-quality services provided by the hospital and the application of the latest treatment methods.
The staff consists of 1,117 thousand people, including 194 physicians, 533 paramedical employees and 390 people belonging to other staff.
The hospital staff includes highly-qualified and efficient employees, who provide patients with high-quality health care services.
The hospital staff includes the physicians assigned various academic degrees:
- Vladimir Vladimirovich Ponomarev, Doctor of Medicine, Associate Professor in charge of the Department of Neurology #2;
- Grigory Grigorievich Petrovski, Doctor of Biology Science, in charge of the Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory
- Doctors of Philosophy in Medical Sciences:
- Iosiph Ivanovich Mikhnevich, Head of the Department of Neurology #1;
- Andrei Andreevich Ostapovich, Neurologist of the Department of Neurology #3;
- Aleksandr Evgenievich Baranovski, Head of the Department of Neurology #2;
- Valentin Vadimovich Astapenko, Head of the Department of Surgery#1;
- Valentina Afanasievna Misnikova, Neurologist of the Department of Neurosurgery #1;
- Vasili Anatolievich Shostak, Head of the Department of Obstetrics;
- Affi Mekhdi Hussein, Neurosurgeon of the Department of Neurosurgery #2;
- Tamara Nikolaevna Kolgushkina, Associate Professor, Obstetrician and Gynecologist;
- Viktor Borisovich Ovsyannikov, Physician of Functional Diagnostics.
The Research and Development Institute of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Physiotherapy of the Republic of Belarus operated under the Hospital from 1997 to 2005. Ignati Petrovich Antonov, Laureate of the National Prize in Science, Honoured Worker of Science and Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Belarus was in charge of the Institute for many years (1962-1998) and still works there.
The researchers of the Research and Development Institute of Neurology were involved into treatment and consulting of patients and research and development activities carried out by the hospital physicians.
Arnold Fedorovich Smeyanovich, Laureate of the National Prize in Science, Honoured Worker of Science, Professor, is in charge of the Research and Development Institute of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Physiotherapy since March 1998.
The Department of Neurosurgery under the Republican Research and Development Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery operates under the Hospital.
The 5th City Clinical Hospital is a clinical basis for a number of medical universities and colleges. The Departments of Surgery General, Departments of Anesthesiology and Resuscitation, Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology under Belarusian State Medical University work under the Hospital.
The Hospital also provides the advanced training courses on neurosurgery and sports medicine arranged by Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-graduate Education.
The students of the International Institute of Radioecology named after A. Sakharov, Minsk State Medical School #1, Belarusian State Medical College, take training in the hospital. The students of the Center of Training, Retraining and Advanced Training of Paramedical and Pharmacology Experts under the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Belarus develop their professional skills in the Hospital.
High-standard health care and diagnostic services, the latest examination and treatment methods and procedures enable the hospital staff to provide high-quality special health care and treatment services to nearly 27, 000 patients suffered from various diseases annually.
In September 2002, the representatives of the World Health Organization (WHO), the United Nations Children's Fund (UNISEF) and the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Belarus awarded the maternity hospital under the 5th City Clinical Hospital with a “Baby-Friendly Hospital” Certificate, confirming the compliance of the health care institution of the Republic of Belarus with the Global Standards of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children's Fund (UNISEF).
The Hospital successfully completed the requirements, set forth in the end results schedule for activities of institutions, and took the 2nd place in 2002. In February 2003, the health care center “the 5th City Clinical Hospital” was awarded with a Certificate of Honour issued by the Health Committee under Minsk City Executive Committee.
Nowadays, the Hospital improves its material and technical facilities, acquires new medical and diagnostic equipment. It improves the surrounding area, repairs buildings and departments to make them meet modern aesthetic standards, to make them comfortable for inpatients and convenient for every-day work of the hospital staff.